More reflections
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 x 4:42 PM
I guess when two people have shared so much together, it's hard to find forgiveness when one of them betrays the other. Which is why many relationships end in bitterness and hatred. But there is a saying, "There is only a fine line between hatred and love". How many have mistaken love for hatred in the history of mankind? I find myself reminded of a tale of a young woman who wrongly believed that the man she loved had killed her father and ran away out of sheer cowardice. She thought she hated him until they met again several years later. When the truth was revealed and she had to face her own heart, she knew that, deep down, she had never truly believed he had killed her father, and that she loved him.
How easy or how hard is it to really and truly trust someone? You may think you trust a person until the ultimate betrayal and you realise you are not that surprised at all; Or, perhaps, you may have doubts in your mind and niggling suspicions in your heart but you are shocked by the smallest betrayal. A relationship requires the basic building blocks of love, trust and loyalty. It is all good and well for one to "demand" the trust of his or her partner but how trustworthy IS that person really? Does he or she really have the right to demand such a thing? I hold that if a person has done something wrong in the past before, he might do it again. If there's a first time, there will be a second time. So, how much can you trust a person? It all depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice. Don't get me wrong, to all intents and purposes, I AM a romantic but I also grew up watching my mother doubt my father's loyalty towards her, despite my father's pristinely clean slate. Am I so wrong to hold back some of my trust? Am I?